Friday, January 2, 2009

Ze'ev - Our Voice

(Ze'ev - the ongoing saga (previous posts) of my friendship with a man whom some would call "homeless" - and he is...but to me Ze'ev is a man with a tragic story - and a friend from whom I learn about life)

I saw Ze'ev today. He was bundled up with several layers. I had worried about him this past week - it was so so cold here in Jerusalem and I was really happy to see him, alive and sitting on his backpack.

It's been a hard week for the country and a particularly hard week additionally for me personally, but I was excited because I had a little extra for him.

As I approached him, Ze'ev looked up, brightened up, sat up and smiled. I was grinning because I was so happy to give him a little more this time and I'm sure it showed on my face. He saw that grin as I approached and he brightened up even more....an understanding between us gave us both a little warmth on a cold winter's day...

With his hand over his heart like he often does.....he said softly "I thank you from the bottom of my heart".

I paused, concerned about his survival in the cold, and looked at him, "Kol beseder, Ze'ev", "Is everything ok?"

Somehow I knew exactly what he would answer...maybe because I felt the same way.

Looking at me, he said "No, everything is not alright...but I'm here...still alive..." Then he paused and smiled......"Happy New Year."

No, everything is not alright...but I'm here.... still alive. Oh, how I understood.

And it could just as well be said by the nation too...."No, everything is not alright...but we're here...still alive."

A profound man, Ze'ev....Happy New Year to you my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment